Ad Hoc Technology Committee
General Responsibilities and Duties
A committee, consisting of volunteers who have worked in, or currently work in, the information technology field, at least 5 of whom reside in Southampton.
The “Technology Committee” acts as an advisory group to the Select Board on town information technology subjects. The Committee would work closely with Town Department Heads and the Town Administrator to understand their needs and facilitate improvements.
Focus areas of the Technology Committee:
- Town computing servers, networking, and data storage
- Perform study on cloud-based vs. locally-based systems for Southampton
- Review Wi-Fi system strengths and weaknesses
- Inventory current PCs used by town employees
- Create master list of computer inventory to formalize the computer upgrade schedule
- Understand software needs specific to certain departments
- Advise how the town data can be protected from cyber security threats
- Evaluate town data infrastructure from a disaster preparedness standpoint
- Evaluate community communication tools, such as the town website
- Provide guidance on any potential fiber to the home or residential networking
- Offer technology training for town members through classes etc.
- Work with Grant Committee to pursue grant funding for IT upgrades
5-7 persons with technology experience, 2 of whom may be non-residents of Southampton
Select Board member as liaison
Members of Committee
Select Board Liaison -- Dan Lavalley